Title IX Coordinator
Title IX of the Education Amendment Act of 1972 requires that all entities in receipt of any federal funds or financial assistance must prohibit sex discrimination in their education programs and activities. Sexual harassment is a form of prohibited sex discrimination. The Title IX Coordinator is the individual responsible for ensuring compliance with the law in this area at MSU Law.
Title IX requirements apply to all aspects of education programs and activities at MSU and MSU Law, including recruitment, student admissions, financial assistance, housing, access to academic offerings, and athletics. The law also applies to all aspects of the Law College's employment process, including hiring, tenure, compensation, and training.
As a recipient of federal funds, Michigan State University College of Law is obligated to:
- Provide assurances that all education programs and activities are in compliance with Title IX
- Designate a Title IX Coordinator to oversee compliance efforts
- Establish procedures to resolve student and employee Title IX complaints
- Provide notification to students and employees that sex discrimination is prohibited within its programs
- Ensure that all administrators, deans, and directors, familiarize themselves with, and implement Title IX provisions
The Office of Student Engagement is responsible for implementing and monitoring MSU Law’s Title IX compliance. The Diversity Services Office is also an important resource for additional information and assistance.
The Law College has established procedures for handling possible Title IX violations. All student and employee complaints should be directed to MSU Law's designated Title IX Coordinator. If the investigation results in a finding that sexual harassment has occurred, the Title IX Coordinator will file a complaint with the Dean and the complaint will be processed under the student disciplinary code. In those cases, the Title IX Coordinator will be identified as the Complainant and it will be the prerogative of the victim to determine in what capacity he/she will participate (i.e.,co-complainant, witness, or no participation).
Title IX Coordinator:
Connell Alsup, J.D., Ph.D., Associate Dean for Student Engagement and Registrar
648 N. Shaw Lane, Room 308
East Lansing, MI 48824-1300
(517) 432-6806 or email@example.com
Drafted with support from the Michigan State University Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives.