Instructional Tax Class for MSU International Students & Scholars
Are you a Resident or a NonResident for tax purposes?
To help determine your residency status, please review this worksheet (PDF).
Arrive 20 min. prior to start of class to "check in." Classes will begin promptly and run approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours in length. Late arrivals will NOT be admitted!
If you had wages or a scholarship from MICHIGAN AND another STATE in 2013, we will help you prepare your FEDERAL return, but we are UNABLE to assist with your MULTI-STATE tax returns.
CHECKLIST OF ITEMS YOU MUST BRING TO CLASS:
- LAPTOP (You must bring a laptop --a tablet or smart phone will NOT work and you will NOT be admitted to the class without a laptop. You cannot share a laptop with another classmate);
- USB portable drive (to save your tax returns to);
- Visa/Immigration status information, including Form DS-2019 (if J status) or Form I-20 (if F status);
- Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have been assigned one); click here to determine if you need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number;
- Address Information (Current U.S. Address and Foreign Address);
- U.S. entry and exit dates for 2013 and all past visits to the U.S.;
- Academic institution information (name, address, and phone number of your academic advisor);
- Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if you did not receive a W-2 or 1042-S, check with MSU Payroll; Please note: 1042-S forms are not mailed out until March 15, 2014. You must have this form before you prepare your return. Please contact MSU Accounting to obtain a copy before you attend the class.);
- A copy of your 2012 federal income tax return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ), if you filed one in 2012;
- Calculator and pencil; and
- TWO copies of the following forms and bring them with you:
We will provide pre-addressed envelopes for you to use to mail your returns.