Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid

  • Direct Deposit

    How do I enroll for direct deposit?
    You will enroll via StuInfo and will need to set up the direct deposit using your banking information. Continuing students (2Ls and 3Ls) will have their banking information transferred to MSU from MSU Law.

    Who do I contact if I have problems with direct deposit?
    Call 517-355-3343 ask for MSU Student Accounts (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). If that does not resolve the issue, email the Office of Financial Aid at for additional assistance.

  • FAFSA/General Information

    How do I apply for financial aid?
    It’s simple: complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your information is sent to MSU College of Law within a few days. Our school code is G02254, and you don’t need to report parent information.

    Should I use the MSU code or the MSU Law code when completing the FAFSA?
    Students at all levels (1L, 2L, 3L, graduate programs) should continue to use the MSU Law code for the 2020-21 FAFSA. Once the integration is official, the Department of Education will roll all MSU Law FAFSAs into MSU and the law code will be removed as an option.

    Is it too late to complete a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year?
    There is still time to complete your FAFSA to receive financial aid for the 2020-21 academic year. You will not need to include parental information, unlike when you applied as an undergraduate student. Our school code is G02254.

    What kind of financial aid can I receive?
    The Admissions Office considers incoming students for merit-based tuition scholarships, which may be renewed annually. The Financial Aid Office reviews eligibility for federal loans and private loans. Students are also considered for Work-Study on a case-by-case basis. You must file the FAFSA to be considered for federal student loans and Work-Study.

    When will I know how much loan money I can get?
    The Financial Aid Office notifies entering students by email in March. Students will receive separate notification from the Admissions Office regarding scholarship eligibility.

    Do I have to reapply every year?
    Students must complete a new FAFSA every year. You can file with estimated tax return information and make updates later. Although the MSU College of Law has a published deadline of April 1st, financial aid forms submitted after the deadline are accepted.

    What if I need more money?
    The Financial Aid Office uses a cost of attendance (or budget) to determine aid the amount of aid a student may receive. The budget includes tuition, fees, room and board, books, and other expenses. The budget does not allow for car payments or credit card bills; such expenses are the student’s responsibility. In some cases, the Financial Aid Office can make modest budget increases for a computer, child care and credits above the budgeted amount.

    Alternative loans have a pretty high interest rate, right?
    Private loans can have a high and variable interest rate. Students may consider pursuing a federal GradPLUS loan, which has a fixed interest rate. However, the decision to request a private loan versus GradPLUS loan is up to the student.

    When do I have to repay the loans?
    Generally, federal student loan repayment begins six months after graduation. Repayment may begin earlier if the student disenrolls or enrolls at less than half-time (five credits for fall and spring, three credits for summer) status.. Private loans have different repayment terms so students are advised to read the fine print on their promissory note before applying.

    What other financial aid options do I have?
    Students can search for scholarships and writing competitions through MSU Law or through outside resources.

    Do you have a loan forgiveness program?
    MSU College of Law does not have an LRAP. Federal regulations may also allow students to have a portion of their federal loans forgiven if they enter public service.

    How do I contact the Financial Aid Office?
    The Financial Aid Office can be reached at 517-353-5940 or

    If I need to apply for a Grad Plus Loan, how long does that take?
    Approval can take 24 hours to 10 days, depending on your credit.

  • Refunds

    What do I need to do to make sure that I’m enrolled in classes and get my refund?
    Confirm your attendance in StuInfo after enrolling (note that changes to your schedule may take 24 hours to show). Then, look at your billing statement and click “pay my bill”. You’ll also need to accept your loans, if any, also through StuInfo. Doing so ensures that your loans will pay your bill to MSU.

    Are there late fees at MSU?
    If you forget to confirm attendance, you can get late fees added to your account ($25-200 dollars). Not confirming attendance can also mean you’ll be withdrawn from your courses and have to re-enroll (after the deadline), which could lead to a late fee. Confirming attendance in StuInfo is critical.

    How will I know that I’m getting a refund?
    After enrollment, check your Account Detail in StuInfo. If there is a negative amount showing, that amount is your potential refund.

    If I’m expecting a refund and don’t see it on my billing statement or on Account Detail, what should I do?
    Please make sure you have confirmed your attendance in StuInfo. If you haven’t, that’s likely the issue. If you have already done so and still see no refund, please contact Financial Aid at

    How and when will I get my refund?
    MSU can either mail you a check or directly deposit your refund into any bank account of your choice. Direct deposit is recommended. Refunds will be disbursed the week of August 17th (approximately a week before classes begin).

  • Short-Term Loans

    How can I access my refund before it’s disbursed so that I can pay for rent, books and other essentials?
    MSU offers an emergency short term loan program, as well as a regular short-term loan program.

    • The emergency short term loan is available as of July 1st, and you apply by filling out the forms and following the instructions on the MSU Law Financial Aid website. Funds will be mailed to you (not direct deposited) so please be sure that your (local) address is up to date with the University. This loan has a 0% interest rate.
    • You can apply via StuInfo for the regular short term loan after August 17th, and funds can be mailed or direct deposited. This loan has a 7% interest rate.

    How much can I borrow via the short term loan programs?
    Students may borrow up to $1500 for qualified educational expenses.

    When are the short-term loans due?
    Payment is due within 60 days of receipt of the funds.

    Why is the College of Law no longer doing cash advances?
    As part of the integration with MSU, we are now following MSU policies and procedures. MSU does not issue cash advances as the Law College has done, but the short-term loan is intended to offer the same benefit.

  • StuInfo

    What’s the difference between the billing statement and account detail in StuInfo?
    The billing statement never changes, whereas the Account Detail shows each change to your account throughout the semester/academic year. The Account Detail screen will take 24 hours to update after any change.