Welcome, incoming Juris Doctor 1L students! We look forward to the start of your MSU legal education on Monday, August 18 when Immersion Week begins. Please carefully review the content of this web site and consult it regularly as updates will occur.
Welcome Letter from the Office of Student Engagement
- The Admissions Office hosted a 30-minute webinar on July 8 that provides an overview of Immersion Week and various topics relating to the first year of law school.
- All incoming J.D. 1L students are required to complete an Online Orientation prior to August 18. The Online Orientation will answer the hundreds of questions you have about what to expect.
- If you are an incoming 1L (or Dual J.D.) international student (from any country, including Canada), you must participate in an orientation program scheduled for Friday, August 15. You also are welcome and encouraged to participate in additional activities that will be held August 11 through August 14.
- The academic year for all incoming 1L J.D. students begins with Immersion Week, scheduled for Monday, August 18 through Friday, August 22 (PDF).
- All incoming 1L J.D. students are to complete assigned readings in preparation for the Foundations of Law class that is taught during Immersion Week. A letter from the faculty and assignments can be found on the Foundations of Law web site. Be sure to pick up your required textbook this summer and start working ahead.
- All incoming 1L J.D. students must also complete assignments for the Research, Writing and Advocacy course, during Immersion week. Your individual section professors will post your first assignments online in mid-August and we encourage you to check this site frequently. Also, please be reminded to include these textbooks in your summer shopping and start working ahead.
- All incoming 1L J.D. students are invited to participate in an optional Service Project that will take place on Friday, August 22, followed by a fun BBQ on the lawn of the Law College. Using your MSU net id and password, you may complete the online form.
- Monday, August 25 marks the start of all 1L and upper-level classes. You may access the Fall 2014 schedule for details about class meeting days/times/rooms/faculty. Please note that each of your classes will have first assignments posted online in early August, so continue to check back regularly in order to be prepared. Be sure to purchase your required textbooks ahead of time.
Please stay in touch and let us know if we can support you in your preparations for the coming academic year.
Office of Admissions: Eamon Ladewski, Associate Director of Admissions, or Courtney Gabbara, Assistant Director of Admissions: email@example.com