Your legal education as a new, first-year law student at MSU begins with Immersion Week, a mandatory component of the 1L program that is designed to help you transition from being an undergraduate student to a law student. Immersion Week includes your first required course, Foundations of Law, a commitment to professionalism program, the opportunity to meet and interact with faculty members and classmates, and an optional service project.
Immersion Week dates: August 17-21, 2015 (PDF)
Welcome Letter from the Office of Student Engagement
Highlights of Immersion Week:
- Service Project online sign-up is available now
through August 3. Incoming students will participate in the Service
Project scheduled for Friday of Immersion Week (August 21). This
activity is an MSU Law tradition that allows incoming students to assist area nonprofit agencies in need of assistance.
- The Online Orientation program, consisting of short videos, readings, and tutorials provides important information about a variety of topics, ranging from academic and administrative policies to an introduction of law school personnel. Completion of the Online Orientation program is mandatory.
- An affirmation form has been added to the Online Orientation
program. The affirmation must be submitted upon completion of the Online Orientation
modules. Students who have already completed the modules can access the
affirmation form on the site’s introductory page.
- Incoming students are expected to complete three readings during the summer months for the one-credit hour Foundations of Law course that meets during Immersion Week. Be sure to access the Foundation of Law web site for a list of all readings, syllabus, and welcome letter from the faculty.
- Incoming 1L and Dual J.D. international students (from any country, including Canada) are required to participate in a day-long program scheduled for Friday, August 14.
- Monday, August 24 marks the start of your remaining 1L classes. You may access the Fall 2015 schedule for details about class meeting days/times/rooms/faculty. Please note that each of your classes will have first assignments posted online in early August, so continue to check back regularly in order to be prepared.