TWEN Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need a Westlaw password to use TWEN? Yes, you will need a Westlaw password to be able to access TWEN. You may obtain a password by contacting James LaMacchia, Computer Services Librarian, at email@example.com or by phone at 517/432-6866. Be sure register your password before starting your TWEN course page.
2. How do I get started using TWEN? To access TWEN go to: http://www.lawschool.westlaw.com/. In the middle of the screen you'll see a box with several tabs at the top, click on the tab "TWEN". Enter your user name and password or your Westlaw password and click "Go". You will then be taken to the TWEN Welcome page and from here you can either begin your TWEN course page or view TWEN pages created by other MSU Law faculty.
3. Can I view TWEN pages created by other MSU Law faculty? Yes, you can look at TWEN pages created by other MSU Law faculty. To do this go to the TWEN Welcome page (see question 2 above), and click on the black button labeled: "Drop/Add Course" (near the top of the screen). This will take you to a list of courses. Check the box next to the course you'd like to view/add then scroll to the bottom and click submit. You will then be taken back to the Welcome page and the course you selected will be listed on the that page. You can then click on the course title and see how the course is set up.
4. How do I start my TWEN page? To begin your TWEN page go to the TWEN Welcome page (see question 2 above) and click on the black button labeled "Create a New Course" (near the top of the screen). This will launch the TWEN Site Wizard and it will walk you through the set up process.
Some things to consider before starting the course:
- Do you want to password protect the page? (not many instructors do this and if you do choose to password protect the page you will have to let your students know what the password is).
- Do you want to give TA’s or co-instructors administrative access to the TWEN page? If so you’ll need their Westlaw passwords.
- When do you want students to be able to access the page – immediately or do you want to give yourself some time to work on the site? (Registration date).
- What types of documents will you be posting and how do you want to organize them? (Document pages: Syllabus, Course Materials etc).
- Remember, you can always go back into TWEN and change your initial settings.
Your TWEN page will now be displayed whenever you login to the TWEN website.
Once you've created your TWEN page you can then add documents to it. See question 5 below for instructions on how to load documents.
You can load just about any type of document onto TWEN, including documents prepared in: Word, Excel, WordPerfect (not as easy as Word) and PDF documents.
6. I would like to post material that is not available in an electronic format, can someone scan it for me?Yes, the library staff can help you with scanning. Please contact the law library reference desk at 517/432-6870 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Do I need copyright permission to post material that has been published elsewhere? Probably. The library staff can place copyright clearance requests for you. Please contact the law library reference desk at 517/432-6870 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
8. I don't like the way TWEN organized the links on my website, can I change their order? Yes, to change the order of the links on your TWEN page, go into your course and look for a link titled: "Manage Links" (upper left hand side of screen). Click this link and at the next screen check the button labeled "Arrange the course elements listed in the left navigation area", and click Continue. At the next screen highlight the link you want to move and then click on any of the "Move" buttons to move the link around. When you are done click "Submit".
9. I've already created my TWEN page, but I'd like to give a co-teacher/teacher assistant/faculty secretary administrative access to the TWEN page, how do I do this? Before you begin you'll have to obtain that individual's Westlaw password. Once you have their password you can then set up their administrator rights. Go into your course and scroll to the bottom of the screen and look for a link titled: "Modify Course", click on this link. At the next screen click on the "Modify Course Information" link and scroll down to the section labeled "Co-Teacher Access". Enter the numeric portion of the Westlaw passwords (separated by commas) of any co-teachers/teacher assistants/faculty secretaries. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Submit Course Changes".
These instructions may also be used to change the course name, the course registration date and to update the e-mail options.
10. I'll be using this same TWEN page next semester how do I update it? Go into your course and scroll to the bottom of the screen and look for a link titled: "Modify Course", click on this link. At the next screen scroll down to the section labeled "Administration", and click on the "Update this Course" link. Fill out the form on the next screen and you'll be good to go.
11. I want to update a course page that I used during a previous semester, but I would like to keep a copy of the class in its original form, how do I do this? Many instructors want to save a copy of a course in its original form before updating it for a new semester. The best way to do this is to make a copy of the course, and save the original as an archival copy and update the other copy.
To do this go into your course and scroll to the bottom of the screen and look for a link titled: "Modify Course", click on this link. At the next screen scroll down to the section labeled "Administration", and click on the "Copy This Course for your Own Use at Your School". You will be taken to the TWEN Site Wizard - most of your previous settings will be retained, but you may want to review them to verify. Also TWEN won't let you make a duplicate course, so you should at least change the course title (perhaps rename it to include the phrase: archival copy).
After you've finished copying the TWEN site, go back to the TWEN Welcome page and you'll see two versions of your course. Select the one you'd like to archive and scroll down to "Modify Course". Scroll to the "Administration" section and select "Archive This Course". Once the course is archived you will be the only person who can see or register for it (even if you view it as a student). So even though it shows up under your courses, it won't be available to anyone but you.
12. Is additional training available? Yes, If you would like additional training on TWEN contact Jane Edwards, Head of Faculty and Public Services Librarian, at 517/432-6867 or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.