MSU College of Law

Admission Requirements & Application Process

Request More Information »

How long will it take to find out if I am admitted?

Once your application is complete, you should receive an admissions decision within 2 to 4 weeks, barring any unforeseen or exceptional circumstances. If your application is incomplete, the process will take longer, as we do not review files until we have all of the required documents from you.

Can I talk with current LL.M. and M.J. students who are from my country?

If you would like to chat or e-mail with a student from your home country, please e-mail us at

How long will it take to complete the degree?

To graduate, LL.M. students must complete 24 credits, while M.J. students must take 26. Some students wish to complete their degree in one academic year (2 semesters), while others wish to take the program over a longer period, generally 1.5 or 2 years.

How much does it cost to get an LL.M. or M.J.?

Tuition varies from year to year. Students should plan an estimated budget of $50,000 per year for room and board, housing, and associated costs. This does not include travel costs.

How do I apply for scholarships?

All students will be evaluated on the basis of merit and need for scholarships from the College of Law. We do offer tuition scholarships on a limited basis to qualified candidates, but these do NOT cover the costs of housing, transportation, books, travel or other expenses.

Students should check with the scholarship and other resources in their home countries for available funding for study in the United States. The best place to start is by contacting the office of EducationUSA in their home country. EducationUSA is a part of the U.S. State Department, and assists students in finding, applying for, and finding funding for their studies in the United States. For more information, visit EducationUSA's web site at

What if my TOEFL/IELTS score isn't good enough to meet your admission requirements, but I am otherwise admissable?

The MSU College of Law will consider applicants for conditional admission to our graduate programs if they meet all requirements for admission except for the required level of English proficiency. Students must prove proficiency before granted final admission. A conditional admission offer is good for one year. If a year passes before the English requirement is fulfilled, an applicant must re-apply for admission.

How and when will I get my visa to study in the U.S.?

The two most common types of visa for MSU Law students from abroad are the F-1 Student Visa and the J-1 Scholar Visa. The vast majority of students study on an F-1 visa, issued by MSU Law. J-1 visas for law students are issued by Michigan State University, but students apply through the College of Law.

To get your F-1 visa, you will need to fill out the visa forms sent to you upon your admission, and return them to the Office of Graduate and International Programs promptly. You will also need to provide proof that you can fund your studies for the term of your program. Proof might include bank statements, a financial guarantee letter from your government, corporate or agency sponsor, or an affidavit of sponsorship from a parent, relative or friend.

After we have received all of the necessary information from you, the I-20 will be processed and sent to you - at most within six to eight weeks, but generally sooner. Please keep in mind that the sooner you send us your documents, the sooner you will get your I-20. We do our best to accommodate late applicants, but cannot promise to provide late applicants with their I-20s in time for last-minute embassy appointments.

After you receive your I-20, you will need to make an appointment at the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy and there, you will obtain your visa. 

If you need a J-1 visa, you will get a DS-2019 rather than an I-20, and will also need to go to the U.S. consulate or embassy nearest you to obtain your visa.

Please e-mail all questions to