MSU College of Law News
MSU-DCL law clinics receive grant from State Bar Foundation
For Immediate Release
425 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI
November 29, 2001, East Lansing, MI - The Michigan State University-Detroit College of Law (MSU-DCL) Rental Housing and Tax clinics are completing a computerized system that will enhance service provided to low-income clients, thanks to a grant provided by the Michigan State Bar Foundation.
The clinics will receive up to $7,500 for needed components of the system, which will ease the delivery of legal services and help screen referrals to ensure the low-income status of the clinics’ clients.
The MSU-DCL Clinical Program, which operates the clinics, is designated a 501(c)(3) charitable, tax-exempt organization by the Internal Revenue Service. Students enrolled in the program work under the supervision of clinic faculty to provide no-cost legal services to taxpayers for whom English is a second language and to low-income tenants and landlords.
MSU-DCL, formerly known as Detroit College of Law, was founded in 1891 and was the first law school in Detroit. The college affiliated with Michigan State University in 1995 and moved to MSU’s East Lansing campus in 1997. The move enabled the college to provide law students the benefits of a Big Ten university while maintaining its private school status. Today, MSU-DCL remains the nation’s oldest continually operating independent law school.
Additional information about the clinics is available from clinic directors MaryAnn Pierce and Michele Halloran at 517/336-8088.