Make a Difference.
Leave a Lasting Legacy.
Consider a Planned Gift that Meets Your Needs
You’ve worked hard. You’ve achieved success with your law degree. Now you have the opportunity to give back. You can make a difference to the future of your alma mater and the legal profession. Consider leaving a lasting legacy through a future gift incorporated within and, often times, enhancing your personal estate plans.
Whether you graduated from Detroit College of Law in downtown Detroit or since the Law College’s move to Michigan State University in East Lansing, there are as many giving opportunities as there are avenues of interest for our alumni and friends. MSU Law welcomes gifts of all sizes.
Charitable Gift Annuity: The Gift That Pays You Back
In today’s low interest rate environment, more people are looking for innovative ways to meet their financial planning needs, while also contributing to their favorite charities—such as MSU College of Law. Fortunately, there is a gift that gives you something back—a charitable gift annuity, often called a life income gift because donors receive guaranteed lifetime payments at a fixed rate in exchange for their irrevocable gifts.
One gift offers three distinct benefits:
- Support MSU Law’s education mission
- Receive lifetime fixed and guaranteed rate payments for you and/or another beneficiary (two-payee maximum)
- Get a current income tax charitable deduction for a portion of your original payment funding your gift annuity
Reasons to consider a charitable gift annuity:
- You receive an immediate income tax charitable deduction in the year you make your donation of cash or securities to fund your one- or two-life charitable gift annuity
- Transferred assets are removed from donor’s potential gross estate for federal estate tax purposes
- Annual income may begin immediately or be deferred until a later time when you want or need it
- Your gift will be recognized in Amicus magazine and other promotional materials
- You can designate which MSU College of Law program your future gift will support
Charitable Bequest: The Gift That Continues to Give
A charitable bequest is among the most popular and efficient ways to support Michigan State Law. A charitable bequest simply designates MSU Law as a beneficiary with a specific amount or percent in your will, personal trust, or other estate plans. It also allows you to retain full use of your assets throughout your lifetime; you are not locked into commitments that eliminate future financial options or opportunities.
Your gift to MSU College of Law can help:
- Provide student scholarships
- Support a department, program, or student organization of your choosing
- Support the DCL Commemorative Plaza
- Create your personal named endowment
Benefits of a charitable bequest:
- No out-of-pocket costs
- Flexibility that allows you to change your bequest arrangement
- Retain use of your assets during your lifetime
- Recognition during your life in Amicus magazine and other promotional materials
Three easy steps to a meaningful bequest:
- Decide what to give
- Consult an attorney to create or modify your will or personal trust; you also may work with Tina K. Casoli, director of the Office of Advancement at MSU Law
- Inform MSU Law so we can acknowledge your future gift intentions and ensure they are understood
Every gift matters!
Whether you want to make a difference for a student, professor, department, or program, you can show your support for Michigan State Law by making a planned gift today! The Office of Advancement can help you determine the most tax efficient and flexible strategy for you and your family to provide a future gift to MSU College of Law.