Veterans' Educational Benefits

U.S. military veterans may be eligible for various benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. See the following website for more information VA Education And Training Benefits | Veterans Affairs.  

Veterans and their spouse/dependents also qualify for Instate Fee Status at Michigan State University.  For information and application, please go to MSU RO: Regulations for Qualifying for In-State Tuition.

Dropping a Course If you drop a course during the semester/term, the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester/course. If dropping classes changes your enrollment status, an overpayment situation may occur. All drops are reported to the VA by the School Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar.

Self Verification of Enrollment Enrollment verficiation is a requirement for Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) students to verify every month that they are still enrolled int he same courses or training that their school certified to VA. It's not about verifying that they are attending classes, but whether their certified enrollment has changed.

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship students must verify their enrollment by logging into WAVE (Web Automated Verfication of Enrollment) for their monthly stipend payments to be processed.  You can also choose to call VA at (888)442-4551 instead of using the website. 

For more information about veteran benefits at MSU College of Law and to request certification, contact the Office of the Registrar, Veteran Certification Team at (517)355-5032 or

For services including educational/vocational counseling for veterans and eligible dependents contact the Ingham County Veterans Affairs Office, 5303 S. Cedar, Lansing, 887-4331.

You may also find information for Michigan veterans, including the MINGSTAP program and ArmyIgnitED for those in the Army requesting FTA, at the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.

MSU also has a set of resources for students who are veterans to support you before, during and after your studies. Need to activate your benefits? Review Applying for Benefits.

Please consult with the Office of the Registrar Veteran Certification Team to determine how any tuition-specific scholarship award received from the College of Law will impact your benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at