Leave of Absence

A student who is in good standing after their first semester may arrange a leave of absence by obtaining permission from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs or the Assistant Dean for Student and Academic Affairs (or, in the case of graduate students, from the Assistant Dean or Associate Dean for Graduate and International Programs), who will prescribe the conditions of the leave. Any other student who has earned credit in at least one law school course while attending MSU College of Law and has been absent from the Law College without obtaining a leave of absence must apply for readmission to the Faculty Academic Standards Committee.

Readmission after Leave of Absence

Readmission, and the terms and conditions thereof, including the number of credits to be allowed for previously completed courses, are matters for the discretion of the Faculty Academic Standards Committee. If the absence has been for an extended period, the Committee is usually hesitant to allow full credit for previous courses.

All applications for readmission should be in the form of a letter addressed to the Chair of the Faculty Academic Standards Committee and should be filed with the Committee at least 90 days prior to the first day of classes of the following semester.

Any person formerly admitted to the Law College who has not earned credit for any course while attending MSU Law must apply for admission through the Office of Admissions.